Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Reaching Our Potential

I have a question.

How do we live up to our potential?
Are we ever really living up to our potential?

Okay I lied...I might have more than just one question. :-)

I've thought about this a lot lately. Mostly, I've been thinking of how can we push ourselves to overcome fears in order to accomplish things we never thought we could/things that are part of our potential?

Thoughts?

I'm still working on the how, but I think there is a definite necessity to seek that potential and reach for it. I'll add it to the to-do list. ;-)

4 comments:

Jessica Tibbitts said...

Excellent questions. If you figure out the answers let me know. My biggest related thing right now is just praying for courage. I've realized lately that I have a tendency to hesitate and over think things when I just need to have a little courage and faith. Problem is, you pray for things like that, you're given a billion opportunities to practice :)

Anonymous said...

Something I've noticed is that when I make my own CRAZY goals, but also things I want to do (aka running a marathon) and really work toward them (which is easier when you actually want to do it) that I get this amazing realization that I'm a lot stronger than I thought and it gives me strength to push a little more. Whoa, run-on sentence. So, basically, I think it helps to practice on things you love doing and when the time comes to apply it to things such as trials, you have a better awareness of how hard you can work and what things you can overcome.

Liz said...

Jess,

If I ever figure it out I promise you'll be the first to know! It's true about praying for things like courage-then He'll give you an opptunity to be courageous. Maybe reaching our potential somehow becomes paired with welcoming an opportunity to grow in that way. Maybe... :)

Liz said...

I 100% agree with you Lindsay! Sometimes, unfortunately, I think I'm tempted to set "easy goals" so that I know I won't fail. I think the trick to even attempting those crazy goals is deciding the possibility of actually accomplishing the goal is worth more than the much smaller (usually) possibility that we will fail.

P.S. Props for going after those crazy goals, especially something like running a marathon! I admire you!