Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Writer


I have always had a love for words and for writing, but a lot of the time I find myself doubting any sort of writing ability I might have.  I have asked myself time and time again: what makes a writer a good writer? Anyone can put words on a page, but what makes them good? Yesterday was no different. As I was considering my future, especially in my new marketing position at work I asked myself, what is going to make me a good writer or what makes me a good writer now? Every time I ask myself this question I am reminded of one pivotal statement I heard in the movie Sister Act 2:

I went to my mother.

who gave me this book...

called Letters To A Young Poet.
Rainer Maria Rilke.
He's a fabulous writer.
A fellow used to write to him and say:

"I want to be a writer. Please read my stuff."

And Rilke says to this guy:

"Don't ask me about being a writer.

lf. When you wake up in the morning.

you can think of nothing but writing...

then you're a writer."

I don't know if all I think about when I wake up is writing, but every day I think of millions of things I want to write about-mostly just thoughts I feel should be recorded, yet I never have the time to actually write them down. So, am I a writer?...

2 comments:

Katelin Pridgen said...

Liz! Love your blog. You are a great writer :)

Liz said...

Thank you Katelin!